Monday, November 5, 2007

Crucial Coffee Choices

Coffee beans are in my cabinet. I love the way they smell, taste and look. Hazelnut, decaffeinated, house blend. Those are just some of the types of coffee I have. I have to be honest, I am not the biggest coffee person, but I do enjoy the occasional cup but after talking with another journalism student about Fair Trade coffee, I decided to do some research on it.

The first thing I did was take a look at the bags of coffee beans in my cabinet. My Illy Fine Grind espresso and Starbuck's House blend had no sign, stamp, or seal of it being fair trade. Oh, no.

"Fair Trade is a trading partnership, based on dialogs, transparency and respect, that seeks greater equity in international trade. It contributes to sustainable development by offering better trading conditions to, and securing the rights of, marginalized producers and workers – especially in the South."
-International Federation for Alternative Trade

Basically, coffee farmers receive more money for their product. I also discovered that it is not just money that the farmers receive, Fair Trade deals with fair working conditions, environmental sustainability, direct trade, and community development, according to Fair Trade Certified.

To view the general standards for Fair Trade products, click here.

I learned that Fair Trade is so important because there are thousands of farmers all over the world that live in poverty because they do not earn enough money for their products. Transfair USA, the only third party Fair Trade certified, certifies tea and herbs, cocoa and chocolate, fresh fruit, sugar, rice, and spices.

To find Fair Trade products in your town, click here.

I found some interesting and recent articles about Fair Trade. Click here to read them.

I also found this great Web site, Global Exchange, where you can actually experience Fair Trade farming by taking a Global Exchange reality tour. You can go to Guatemala for a couple weeks to work with a Fair Trade coffee farmer.

If you want to get involved advocating Fair Trade at your University, check out the United Students For Fair Trade
. They try to get schools to sell Fair Trade coffee.

Help support local farmers by buying Fair Trade products. I know I will.

No comments: